Elmo Party Decorations
Browse the Elmo party decorations below, with lots of tips and styling advice for how best to decorate with the Elmo party supplies available online.
Check out my main Elmo party theme page which contains ideas for party invitations, food and drink, games and other party supplies.
elmo Party Decorations
- I always think it's a good idea to start your decorations outside, so that the guests will start to get excited as they arrive. This could just be simple things like chalking the pavement with Elmo faces, bunches of red balloons along the driveway, a personalized yard sign (below left, USA only), or a banner over the door.
This Elmo banner (below) can be personalized with a photo and your own message.
- Alternatively, you could print a life-size cut out (below left) of your child dressed in an Elmo costume to put at the end of your drive or outside the front door. These can be combined with a motion-activated voice recorder (below right, USA only) for less than $10, on which you can record a 10 second welcome message which plays as your guests walk past.
- This cute balloon wreath (by How Does She?) would look perfect on the door to greet people. You could make it using just red balloons to tie in with the Elmo party decorations, and then position an Elmo face balloon (see two bullet point below) in the center.
- Alternatively, pick up an Elmo Airwalker balloon (below) and tie this to the front door to greet people as they arrive.
- There are also these cute Sesame Street paper lantern garlands (below left, USA only) which feature Elmo, or if its a 1st Birthday party you can use these swirl decorations (below right, USA only).
- A great way to decorate for an Elmo party theme is to re-create the scribbly crayon drawn room interior from Elmo's World (photo below by Scott Hanson on Muppet Wikia). (I've created a similar hand-drawn interior for one of my professional parties, The D&AD "Yellow Pencil" Awards. Check out the photos to see how effective this can look).
- To make the crayon room for your Elmo party decorations, first cover your walls with plain paper (you could look for clearance rolls of wallpaper and use the reverse side to give a plain finish, or use rolls of butcher's paper). Fix the paper in place using a removable adhesive tape (a good trick is to apply strips of masking tape to your walls (this is a low-adhesive tape that you can peel back up without leaving a mark) then apply double-sided tape on top of the masking tape, and stick your paper to the double-sided tape. This way, the double-sided never actually touches your walls, only the low-tack masking tape does.
- Once you've create a blank canvas with plain paper, draw all the features of the room on with crayons, such as doors, pictures, windows, decorative boarders.
- Scatter some inflatable crayons (below, USA only) around to complete the look, or hang them down from the ceiling.
- As the style of Elmo's room is just crayon scribbles, you could also make a simple home-made banner like this one (below).
- Finally, add some atmosphere to the party by playing the
Sesame Street CD (below, USA only). It includes all the well known songs such as the main theme, C is for Cookie, Elmo's Song, and Rubber Ducky.
Buffet / Dessert Table Styling
For ideas and suggestions for how to style and dress a buffet / dessert tableinspired by the photo below, check out my main Elmo party theme page. This page also contains ideas for Elmo party invitations, food and drink, and party games as well as some more ideas for Elmo party decorations.
Below are ideas for styling the main dining table in keeping with these Elmo party decorations.
- If you're looking for a quick and easy way to dress the table, there are lots of great Elmo themed tableware kits available, including Elmo paper plates, napkins, and tablecovers.
- If you prefer to pick and choose some branded items to mix with some solid colors, I'd recomend you stick to a palate of red and white with a few touches of a third color as an accent. An all-red table is just too heavy. So perhaps use a red tablecover with a white runner down the center to break it up, or a wider red runner with a white undercloth. Then use one of these Elmo paper plates to add a touch of blue (below left) or green (below right) as your accent color.
- If budget permits, use some long pile red faux fur as the tablecloth to give a soft Elmo-like feel. If your budget won't stretch to covering the whole table, just use a red tablecover then create a runner down the center out of fur.
- Red Gerberas (right) are the perfect flowers to use for kid's Elmo party as they have a simple daisy-like appearance. So pick up a couple to arrange in small Mason jars on the table. You could also surround the Mason jars with crayons standing upright and tied in place with ribbon.
- For a centerpiece, use this Elmo foil balloon (below left) along with a toy goldish in a bowl (or see the food ideas section of my Elmo party theme page for how to make a Jello goldfish bowl). Alternatively you can pick up this 9" x 9" ready made Elmo centerpiece (below right, USA only).
- Make these Elmo toilet roll crafts using this free download (below left, by DLTK Kids) and put one at each place setting.
- I always like to have some decorations overhead too, to fill the empty space above the table, so use a cluster of red paper lanterns (below left, from Martha Strewart) and add Elmo's eyes and face using cardstock. (You can also pick up cheap battery LED bulbs to make the lanterns glow without having to worry about power cords). Alternatively, for a more feminine look use tissue pom-poms (below right, Martha Stewart) .
More Elmo Birthday Party Ideas
Don't forget to read my Elmo party theme page for even more Elmo themed ideas including invitations, food & drink, and party games.
Did you find these ideas for Elmo party decorations useful? If you did, please help me to promote my site by sharing this page with your contacts. Either click the 'Like' button below or post a link to this page with the Twitter or Facebook buttons below.
Alternatively, follow the "Enjoy this page?" link at the bottom to get the address for this Elmo party decorations page and paste it directly into your own blog, website, or any relevant forum.
Matt James is a professional event planner and owner of event agency Left Field Productions, which has produced events for Elton John, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kevin Spacey, Stella McCartney, David LaChapelle, John Waters, and Elvis Costello & Diana Krall. Since 2004, Left Field Productions has won 30 industry awards for excellence including Production Company of the Year.